Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid, Prioritized Traffic?

2010-09-16 11:44:28
X.25 was a disaster area. I watched someone trying to code a PAD in 1984,
took him months to realize that the reason it did not work is that the spec
did not correspond to the bits on the wire.

The idea for X.25 certainly did not come out of BBN or the ARPANET. Many
groups round the world were looking at computer networking schemes in the
1970s. X.25 was a consensus that emerged from a group of (mostly) European
engineers.

Far from being an incremental evolution of the ARPANET, Orange Book was
essentially Spock with Beard. The ARPANET was a research network whose
development was mostly led by academics with some input from corporations.
Coloured Books was a commercial network from the start and development was
led by telephone company engineers with occasional academics.

X.25 was a direct descendant of the capabilities of the (then) planned
System X digital telephone system in the UK and similar systems in France
and Germany.

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Bob Hinden