Re: All these discussions about meeting venues

2010-09-15 01:26:38
On 14/09/2010 18:58, Michael Dillon wrote:
Even in Dublin and Maastricht there were
"restaurant" districts nearby for those with vehicles. If the hosts or the
IETF had operated a 15 min. shuttle service to the restaurant districts
from 12 noon to 12 midnight, that would likely have resolved most if
not all of the complaints about restaurants.

Well, one of the things that I liked about Maastricht was that every
attendee got a free pass for the entire city bus system.  Busses left in
front of the building, about once every 10 minutes from +/- 6am to
+/- 11pm, and got you to the downtown area in about 10-15 minutes.
Density of bus stops in the downtown area is such that most restaurants
are within a few minutes walk of a bus stop.  I used it a couple of times
and it just worked fine.  I'm not sure how a shuttle bus could have
improved on this.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746