Re: All these discussions about meeting venues

2010-09-15 17:17:28
Hello Ben,

You wrote:

One suggestion for Beijing where the level of English with bus/taxi
drivers etc will be low maybe to publish a page linked from the main
meeting page with something like "Can you please take me to the
Shangri-La Hotel" in Chinese so attendees can just print it out and
hand it to the driver when they land at the airport (although a quick
search reveals many free online translators I suspect this could
catch a few people out).

This is what I always do when I travel to China:
Ask a colleague to send me an email with the name *and*
address of the hotel, or the meeting place.

I print this and take it with me to show the taxi driver
so he knows where to go.

For this meeting it could be put as a page on the meeting
website for everybody to print.

Also note the following: always take one of the green/yellow
colored taxis (if you want to pay the normal rate).
http://autonews.gasgoo.com/resource/editor/taxi.jpg

At the airport go to the taxirank outside and take one
of these taxis. *DON't* be fooled by the crowd inside the
terminal that tries to offer you taxi ride .

Cheers, Huub.