Re: Revised IAOC Administrative Procedures draft

2010-09-13 12:32:46
I've generally stayed out of this discussion, but let me offer a word of support to Bob, et al re maintaining some flexibility. There are two very strong protections already in place in this system. First, the operation of the IAOC -- and IASA -- are fully documented and visible. If the IAOC does something inappropriate, it will become visible and everyone will learn from it. Second, bills get paid through ISOC's normal processes. ISOC has a set of controls in place to document expenses and make sure they follow the expected set of rules. In addition to these strong protections, a questionable expenditure, even if it's several thousand dollars, isn't going to go irreparable harm to the IETF or ISOC. Trying to prescribe a strict set of rules in addition to these protections is counterproductive and may remove flexibility that's needed for the benefit of the IETF at some future time.

The IETF's success, and, indeed, the success of the whole Internet, has come from maximum flexibility and minimum a priori rules and permissions. We can easily afford to wait for the IAOC to screw up in some egregious fashion before we have to draft and administer rules to prevent subsequent abuses. In the meantime, let the IAOC do its job on behalf of the community.

Steve

Full disclosure: I was on the committee that formulated the IAOC and I served on the IAOC for a period of time.