Re: Revised IAOC Administrative Procedures draft

2010-09-13 13:47:18

On 9/12/2010 6:22 AM, Adrian Farrel wrote:
I have absolutely no doubt of the integrity of the IAOC and its chair, but this
rule is somewhat vague and open to interpretation. It is like using the word
"appropriate" in a protocol spec!

Could you look at qualifying this in some way to scope the exceptional
circumstances.

An interesting challenge when writing rules about human behavior -- such as operation of a committee -- is to choose the right balance between constraint and flexibility. Make things too precise (and therefore constrained) and it's a bureaucratic nightmare. Make them too flexible and they are subject to abuse.

For a technical standards body, we find it oddly challenging to follow overly precise rules. While this invites some danger of personal excesses, this particular topic so far does not seem inclined toward them.

There are enough hassles for the IAOC tasks; let's wait to impose stricter rules until we see clear evidence they are needed.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking