RE: All these discussions about meeting venues

2010-09-22 17:11:24
On Wed, 22 Sep 2010, Randall Gellens wrote:

At 6:39 PM +0200 9/22/10, Christer Holmberg wrote:

I think one question is: WHO is responsible for dealing with a specific
"problem"?

In most of the emails, people are only asking for reasonable access to
resources for solving the problem, not that someone else solve the problem.

Speaking as a member of the IAOC (and not FOR the IAOC), I believe
that our role, and certainly our goal, is to "pick a venue where we
can have a successful and productive meeting". And yes, this does
include considerations of transportation, hotels, restaurants and
other resources.

Do we always get this "right"? No. Does it usually involve some kind
of tradeoff? Yes.

As has been stated, some types of venues are inherently easier than others.

Certainly. Then there is the matter of availability for our fixed and
announced dates, financial considerations, host vs no-host, and so on.

I do agree, that at least in the long run we most likely could make
this easier and more predictable by taking a number of steps which
have already been outlined on this list.

Ole