Re: Proposed WG and BOF Scheduling Experiment

2010-11-07 20:57:40
On 2010-11-08 15:26, The IESG wrote:
The IESG is seriously considering a WG and BOF scheduling experiment.  The
goal of the experiment is to provide WG agenda sooner and also provide
more time to craft BOF proposals.

The proposed experiment includes three parts.  First, schedule all BOFs
for Monday afternoon.

Hmm. How many non-overlapping time slots? It would be extremely
frustrating if there was a lot of overlap between BOFs. Some of us
are interested in almost any new topic. My first reaction is to prefer
the BOFs spread out. I'm not sure that concentrating them will reduce
the problem of clashes.

Second, schedule WGs before we know which BOFs will
be held.

That is a feature of concentrating the BOFs, but I'm not sure
that it's particularly valuable. It moves the clashing problem,
but doesn't remove it.

Finally, provide an additional four weeks to deliver BOF
proposal to ADs.

Do you mean: make the BOF request cutoff later? If so, that is
a feature, but since people are deadline driven, I'm not sure
that moving the deadline is a major advantage.

Please let us know whether you support this experiment.  Discussion is
welcome on the mail list and the plenary on Wednesday evening.

It depends on my first question: how many BOF-BOF clashes would
we get as a result?

     Brian