Re: [79all] IETF Badge

2010-11-12 18:21:07

Oops, sorry you did ask more than one question. This one:

"What I asked was whether or not the decision to require a strict
mapping of badge to person was an IAOC decision or the host/hotel/someone else?
You sort of indicate that it was "the local host" and the (paraphrasing here)
"cultural artifact".  But then go on to "its no big thing"

Prior to the day pass experiment (and I would guess even during)
companies would pass around badges for folks that wanted to attend -
especially local first timers, but didn't need to be there for more
than a day or a meeting.  As far as I know we (IETF) have no policy on
this."

Answer (my own opinion): We may not have a policy that states you
cannot pass around a badge to a number of people, but I think it
violates the spirit of "no free lunch" particularly now that the
meeting fees are a significant source of income to balanace the
meeting expenses. Ditto (obviously) for day passes. Buying one and
sending 5 people clearly defeats the purpose.

(I think the registration page says that you can send a substitute,
but that's a different matter).

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj