Re: [79all] IETF Badge

2010-11-14 16:19:54
On 11/12/2010 08:21 PM, Xiangsong Cui wrote:
As to IETF registration and badge, I would like to suggest (maybe this is
crazy), IETF should design another type participant, I mean Guest
Participant, they are free and more limited than one day pass. For example,
the Guest Participant can only attend one session (half day or 2 hours), for
the given WG seesion. And, the amount of Guest Participant should be strictly
limited.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, at least from an IETF perspective, but why
not just let them "drop in", i.e. attend the meeting without a badge?
I've always felt this served the community well and is not really
different from our mailing list subscription policy.  (I hope no one
proposes to start charging for that, but if you take the current
trend/discussion a few steps farther, that's where we may end up!)

Lou

BTW There was one IETF, perhaps Columbus, where I attended just one day
and I still paid the full amount.  Although, it cost a bit less, back
then. IMO contributors will "do the right thing", and we should make it
easy to be a lurker as they may turn into a direct or indirect contributor.