Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-04-19 13:01:42
Hi Bob,
At 14:25 18-04-2011, Bob Hinden wrote:
I didn't say no one else could do the job adequately. I said "would have a negative impact" on the operations of the IETF.

Some examples where an I* chair had a significant influence on a decision that IAOC made include:

 - The hiring of the Transitional RSE
 - Many of the Beijing meeting issues (prior and post signing the MOU)
 - Specific venue selections (in one case avoiding a less than ideal venue)
- The need for transparency in certain IAOC actions (day passes, venue rotation) - Discussion of what policy decisions that the IAOC can make vs. the IESG vs. community
 - Discussion about when to get community feedback
 - Secretariat contract (RFP, bidders review, selection, etc.)
- RFC Publisher and Publisher contracts (RFP, bidders review, selection, etc.)

Some of these decision might have been different without one or more I* chairs being directly involved in the decision. Please review the minutes for more detail.

From RFC 4071:

  "The IAOC shall be accountable to the IETF community for the
   effectiveness, efficiency, and transparency of the IASA."

In a personal note that Olaf posted ( http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg66161.html ), it is mentioned that it takes 0.7 FTE. I do not believe that the decisions mentioned above are unimportant. However, you have to consider which decisions require your attention when you have a limited amount of time available.

The current members of the IAOC, excluding ex officio, are:

 Eric Burger
 Dave Crocker
 Marshall Eubanks
 Bob Hinden
 Ray Pelletier (non-voting)

None of them are new to the IETF. If it requires I* Chairs for the IAOC to be transparent, something is not right.

I think the I* chairs, in my view bring a broad view of the community and operational needs based on what's involved in doing their jobs than another person would not have.

If I understand your arguments, it is also about avoiding a disconnect between the administrative side of the IETF and the IAB/IESG.

draft-kolkman-iasa-ex-officio-membership-00 argues for a change to reduce the workload and make the I* Chair positions more attractive. Would it help if the IAOC Chair has a liaison position on the IAB and IESG? The IAB and IESG Chairs can use their discretion to determine which IAOC meetings they should attend. The IAOC Chair gets a broader view.

The above pushes the workload around instead of addressing the problem. If this trend continues, the best fit people will turn down I* positions.

Regards,
-sm