Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-04-20 11:38:09

On 4/19/2011 12:53 PM, Bob Hinden wrote:
1. ISOC, IAB and IESG each appoint one person currently.  Change this to be
two each, the same as Nomcom.  Each year, they would appoint one person.

2. Move the I* Chairs to be non-voting ex-officio participants, the same as
the IETF Administrative Director.  They are welcome to participate or be
explicitly invited to all IAOC/Trust activities.

This produces the continuity that is needed for the admin work, but also
retains access to the expertise of the I* chairs.

I don't agree.  Appointing two people (or more?) doesn't solve the problem I
am concerned about, it still doesn't bring the chairs perspective.  It also
significantly changes the governance model by changing the balance between
between nomcom, iab, iesg, and ISOC appointed members.  Also, adding six
people (still counting the chairs) will make the IAOC much larger and
unwieldy.

For clarification:

1. The IAB, IESG and ISOC each put two voting people onto the IAOC/Trust today. My proposal preserves that.

2. The intent behind moving the I* Chairs to non-voting status, like the IAD, is to ensure that they can continue to participate but remove from the the requirement for daily IAOC/Trust activities. The presumption is that they dive in for the big stuff, of the sort you cited, but do not have the burden of regular participation.

For emphasis:

As SM notes, my starting point is two of these folk saying they have to have a change. Looking at the list of their duties, no one should be surprised that they feel (and are) overloaded. So, they looked over their current duties and decided this is the one they'd like to change. I don't have -- and haven't heard anyone else suggest -- that some other change in their duties would be more appropriate. So I see the relevant question as how to make a change, not whether.

d/

ps. As for the broader concern about having a sufficient base of experience on the IAOC/Trust, that applies for all appointments to all of our management groups. Worse, we have a continuing challenge to select for the right kinds of experience. For example, merely hanging around the IETF for a long time does not mean one knows how to manage an area or manage a budget. (I'm stating the obvious. The reason is that I don't see the current effort to change I* Chair participation in the IAOC/Trust as changing this issue.)

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking