Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-04-21 15:53:47
On 2011-04-22 05:49, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
On 4/21/11 10:38 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

In the case of the IETF Chair I believe the issue is that it's
highly desirable, from a governance viewpoint, that the IETF Chair
has *personal* responsibility in IAOC decisions,

Why?

What happens if the person in that role is not specifically "accountable"?

We have the potential for disconnect between the business of the ietf
and the business of running the ietf. We had that before so it's not a
hypothetical scenario.

Exactly. My personal experience as IETF Chair was that the administrative
work, which we engineers have a lordly tendency to dismiss as trivial,
is truly vital to making the IETF work properly. I just can't conceive
of an IETF Chair decoupling from the chain of responsibility for this.

Just to repeat myself: the IAOC workload represents a substantial
*reduction* of the IETF Chair workload (and stress load) compared to the
pre-IAOC situation.

And by the way, what does it mean to be accountable in the way that you
consider so important?

It means that the ability to perform the iaoc function is a
consideration for filling and retaining the role of ietf chair.

Exactly. An IETF Chair who doesn't see this as fundamental would be
a bad choice.

What actions flow from that accountability?

Failure in this part of the role would be a strong signal
to NomCom if the Chair wants to re-up, and dramatic failure
would be potential grounds for recall.

   Brian