Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-04-20 11:12:25
Hi Bob,
At 14:04 19-04-2011, Bob Hinden wrote:
But that may not always be the case that all IAOC members have a lot of IETF experience. We need to have a governance model that works into the future.

Yes, it may happen that some IAOC members may not have a lot of IETF experience. How do you ensure that the IAOC members have a lot of IETF experience? You can tweak the governance model. The IETF community also have to be convinced that it is the better model or else it will be changed. There are some safeguards in the IETF model that I won't get into. It's merely a matter of time for that to change. I'll list the names of the people who have participated on this thread:

 Dave Crocker
 Lucy Lynch
 John Klensin
 Russ Housley
 Jari Arkko
 Olaf Kolkman
 Brian Carpenter
 Henk Uijterwaal
 Leslie Daigle
 Ole Jacobsen
 Marshall Eubanks
 Joe Touch
 Joel Jaeggli
 Steve Crocker
 Michael Richardson
 Barry Leiba
 Spencer Dawkins
 Bert Wijnen

The people listed below were part of NomCom:

 Gregory Cauchie
 Mehmet Ersue
 Dorothy Gellert
 Tony Hansen
 Suresh Krishnan
 Dirk Kroeselberg
 Jan Seedorf
 Pete St. Pierre
 Rolf Winter

You may notice that there isn't any intersection with the previous list.

It would certainly give the IAOC chair a broader view, but still not the views of the I* chair. Also, if the I* chairs (3 of 9 voting members) regularly didn't attend, it would be much harder to get a quorum for a meeting and pass motions.

I did not comment on getting a quorum previously as it's only adding one more problem to the mix. "The IAOC decides the details about its decision-making rules, including its rules for quorum, conflict of interest, and breaking of ties".

I agree with you that the views of the I* Chairs are important. It also helps avoid back and forth discussion between I* bodies; e.g. is this an IESG decision or can the IAOC decide. I don't think that the IAB or the IESG can be absolved from the responsibility if the IAOC takes a negative turn as each of them chooses an IAOC member.

If the ex-IAB Chair and the IESG Chair ask for a change to the model due to the workload, is it on a whim? This is where people walk away from a problem because they tried and got stone-walled. If the IETF believes that it is appropriate to mince everything they can get out of a person in the name of good governance, so be it.

Regards,
-sm