Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-04-19 16:05:07
SM,

Eric Burger
Dave Crocker
Marshall Eubanks
Bob Hinden
Ray Pelletier (non-voting)

None of them are new to the IETF.  If it requires I* Chairs for the IAOC to
be transparent, something is not right.

But that may not always be the case that all IAOC members have a lot of IETF
experience.  We need to have a governance model that works into the future.

I think the I* chairs, in my view bring a broad view of the community and
operational needs based on what's involved in doing their jobs than another
person would not have.

If I understand your arguments, it is also about avoiding a disconnect
between the administrative side of the IETF and the IAB/IESG.

Yes

draft-kolkman-iasa-ex-officio-membership-00 argues for a change to reduce the
workload and make the I* Chair positions more attractive.  Would it help if
the IAOC Chair has a liaison position on the IAB and IESG?  The IAB and IESG
Chairs can use their discretion to determine which IAOC meetings they should
attend.  The IAOC Chair gets a broader view.

The above pushes the workload around instead of addressing the problem.  If
this trend continues, the best fit people will turn down I* positions.

It would certainly give the IAOC chair a broader view, but still not the views
of the I* chair.  Also, if the I* chairs (3 of 9 voting members) regularly
didn't attend, it would be much harder to get a quorum for a meeting and pass
motions.

Bob