Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic (yet again)

2011-07-26 15:15:35
Hi Ron,
At 07:30 AM 7/25/2011, Ronald Bonica wrote:
draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic will obsolete RFCs 3056 and 3068 and convert their status to HISTORIC. It will also contain a new section describing what it means for RFCs 3056 and 3068 to be classified as HISTORIC. The new section will say that:

- 6-to-4 should not be configured by default on any implementation (hosts, cpe routers, other) - vendors will decide whether/when 6-to-4 will be removed from implementations. Likewise, operators will decide whether/when 6-to-4 relays will be removed from their networks. The status of RFCs 3056 and 3068 should not be interpreted as a recommendation to remove 6-to-4 at any particular time.

draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic will not update RFC 2026. While it clarifies the meaning of "HISTORIC" in this particular case, it does not set a precedent for any future case.

The above conflates document labels, Historic in this case, and advice to vendors and operators. Redefining the meaning of Historic in a RFC that is not even a BCP is a bad idea.

I am fine of 6-to-4 not to be configured on by default and obsoleting RFCs 3056 and 3068. I do not support the redefinition of Historic or the claim that there is IETF Consensus.

Regards,
-sm