Re: "6to4 damages the Internet" (was Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic (yet again))

2011-07-28 02:51:37
In your letter dated Wed, 27 Jul 2011 23:41:38 -0400 you wrote:
PS - And in those cases, proper address selection is a much better solution
(IMHO) than hitting this screw with a hammer.

I think the problem is that we don't know how to do 'proper' address
selection. It would be nice if 5 or 10 years ago there would have been a good
standard to do address selection. Today, we are just in the stage of doing
more experiments.

There is one thing that works well. And that is, you only assign global
IPv6 addresses to a host if global IPv6 connectivity is at least as good as
IPv4 connectivity.

We want large scale deployment of IPv6 today not some time in the future
when we finally figured out address selection. And that means that today we
have to make sure that users don't end up with unreliable IPv6 connections.