Re: I-D Working groups and mailing list

2011-08-04 08:48:06

--On Thursday, August 04, 2011 10:36 +0200 Julian Reschke
<julian(_dot_)reschke(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de> wrote:

On 2011-08-04 09:11, Bill McQuillan wrote:

On Wed, 2011-08-03, Hector Santos wrote:
I would like to propose that new I-D submissions include
information about the existence of a Working Group, if any,
and/or discussion group list address, if any, for to join
and participate in the development of the I-D or simply to
follow it.

I think I have read some I-D that including this useful
information, but most do not. Its one the first things I
look for.
Just a thought if it makes sense.

This should be mandatory in IDs.

Many of us think this is a good idea.  Many of us have been
including it when we remember and are easily reminded to include
it in the next update when we do not.

Reminding people is probably a good idea.  Including an explicit
placeholder for this in templates would probably be a good idea.
It would make a good habit.

But there are circumstances in which the appropriate mailing
list is not known at the time of posting and others in which
permission to use an obvious mailing list requires pre-approval
that might significantly delay posting of a draft.

What we don't need, IMO, is more rules, especially rules that
would then need exception procedures, open up opportunities for
appeals about approval processes and the use of particular
lists, etc.

   john