RE: I-D Working groups and mailing list

2011-08-04 09:11:43
From: Hector Santos
I would like to propose that new I-D submissions include
information about the existence of a Working Group, if any,
and/or discussion group list address, if any, for to join
and participate in the development of the I-D or simply to
follow it.

We already have mechanisms like this in place.  Most I-Ds include the
relevant WG in their name, and the extremely popular XML2RFC format
has a <workgroup> element for specifying the relevant WG.  And the I-D
submission tool checks that field.  (I just got bitten by that.)  The
XML2RFC tool carries the <workgroup> value into the page headers of
the text form (at least in some circumstances).

Once one knows the WG name, one can go through www.ietf.org to find
the information about the WG, including its mailing list.  (Though one
has to know some lore to do this successfully.)

From: John C Klensin
What we don't need, IMO, is more rules, especially rules that
would then need exception procedures, [...]

Indeed, yes.  Our most limited resource is the labor of the real staff
and the volunteers, and we should not introduce a change that would
consume their labor unless there is a significant benefit to be
obtained.

Dale