Re: 2119bis

2011-08-30 11:47:13
Can you give an example of where a dangling SHOULD makes sense?  Most often I
see something like:
        SHOULD implement security
meaning
        SHOULD implement security, unless you do not feel like it or are in an
authoritarian regime that bans security

On Aug 30, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Keith Moore wrote:

On Aug 30, 2011, at 12:06 PM, Marc Petit-Huguenin wrote:

The meaning of SHOULD is clear for the authors (it "mean[s] that there may
exist
valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a particular item, but
the
full implications must be understood and carefully weighed before choosing a
different course."), the problem is that some implementers use a different
meaning (I do not have to implement this if it is inconvenient or difficult
for
me to implement), vendors another one (SHOULD gave us the right to not
implement
it).  I even read somewhere, perhaps on this list, about a vendor that
rejected
any bug report against a SHOULD.  Conditional MUST, in my opinion, does not
have
this problem.

But conditional MUST has other problems, namely that you have to enumerate
the exceptions for the MUST, and that's not always practical.

Implementors who think that SHOULD gives them a free pass to avoid
implementing something that's needed to interoperate are misreading 2119.
But document editors should avoid using SHOULD for cases where failure to
implement the requirement will result in interoperability failure.

I could see maybe posting an erratum or a brief update to 2119, but I think
that reopening that document in general is a Very bad Idea.  And for existing
documents that misuse SHOULD, the appropriate thing to do is to update those
documents or post errata to those documents, rather than try to retroactively
change the meaning of the keywords in those documents.

Keith