RE: 2119bis

2011-08-30 13:14:49
It seems to me RFC2119bis might benefit from some consensus text on what proper
use of each is, beyond defining their respective meanings.  From the
discussion, this is obviously true for SHOULD at least.  The discussion around
use of MAY in RFC2119 is fairly thorough, so maybe SHOULD needs to be similarly
expanded.  And I suspect some distillation of this discussion might provide
some ideal text.

-MSK

From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Eric Burger
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:03 AM
To: IETF discussion list
Subject: Re: 2119bis

Note the language
"MUST implement, SHOULD use" is a common compromise.
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^

This is my heartache.  Why is it a compromise?  Most use of SHOULD I run into
in WG's is either this precise one:
    I don't want to make this a MUST use, because I will have deployments *THAT
ARE NOT FOR THE INTERNET* but I want to market them as if they were.
Example: instant messaging systems for enterprises where tapping is a legal
requirement, not something to be avoided.
Example: instant messaging systems deployed where governments want to do
warrantless, undetectable tapping

I would offer neither of these examples are Internet examples, and we should
get some iron underpants on and say so.

Internet protocols need Internet protections.

SHOULD should neither be a crutch for making a proprietary protocol look like
an Internet protocol nor for making two proprietary protocols look like a
single, Internet protocol.