Re: 2119bis

2011-08-31 08:57:01
Keith Moore wrote:
On Aug 31, 2011, at 9:12 AM, Hector wrote:

If SHOULD is read as a MUST IMPLEMENT, and that also implies MUST USE with no provision to disable then its should of been a MUST in the first place.

Just because a feature is optional does not mean that it's a protocol feature... i.e. it doesn't mean that it affects how the implementation interacts with peers.

Thats the problem with trying generalize SHOULD as single interpretation for all SHOULDs when it is so highly subjective many times.

I think you are speaking of long term operations where an SHOULD is so widely adopted, it inherently because a MUST have in all new implementations. So that vain, sure, eventually the better options naturally become part of the protocol to the extent the options might be even remove to simplify things. We also have the opposite where a SHOULD is implemented but no one users it so eventually, it may be remove as an option.

SHOULD is IMO most often useful not when specifying how a protocol acts "on the wire", but when specifying how a protocol needs to be implemented on a particular platform, where the precise semantics, API details, etc. naturally differ from one platform to another.

Yeah, but its also very very useful to offering what parts of a protocol are on and off and let operators decide what they want. Don't we already do this?

Why even bother with SHOULD, and just use MUST and MAY?

To get people out of the rathole of trying to specify exactly how everything must work in excruciating detail, in a world where there is inherently going to be some necessary variation.

I agree, it is the easy way out. But wouldn't it still be a rathole if SHOULD was still a MUST-IMPLEMENT concept which is why a MUST made it an rathole in the first place? Too many people didn't like, not want it nor wish to waste time on a unproven concept. So you make it a SHOULD or a MAY.

With a MUST-IMPLEMENT view of SHOULD, then SHOULD really isn't compromise if you have to implement and even more so if no one is allowed to turn it off.

-1 on RFC2119bis :)