RE: 2119bis

2011-08-31 13:39:43
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Randy Presuhn
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 11:31 AM
To: IETF discussion list
Subject: Re: 2119bis

This sentence is self-contradictory.  "SHOULD" is, by definition, not
"OPTIONAL".

I disagree with the claim that there is a contradiction there, but I also
think
"IGNORE" is incorrect.

What was said is "SHOULD = OPTION", but RFC2119 says "OPTIONAL" is the same as
"MAY".  That's the contradiction.

The only difference between "SHOULD" and "MAY" is that the implementor /
deployer needs a good excuse to not implement / employ a "SHOULD."
That's not the same as "IGNORE".

But that's a big difference.  I think some people are being cavalier about the
"good excuse" part, and that's where I have a problem.  RFC2119 is not unclear
on this point.