Re: 2119bis

2011-08-31 12:56:30
Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
-----Original Message-----

But I don't think there's anything wrong with the definitions as we have them; I think they've served us well for the last fourteen years.

Correct and by far, most deployments have use SHOULD = OPTION with an documented right to IGNORE - so be it written so be it followed. The "MUST-IMPLEMENT seems to be an exception and not the rule and even then is inconsistency in application seem to be very selective.

Maybe Tony's I-D can help reinforce this concept of a Recommendation:

   SHOULD, RECOMMENDED:  The words "ought", "encouraged" and "suggest
         strongly" can be used to connote something that is strongly
         urged.

and I hope these terms still don't means "MUST-IMPLEMENT" and worst a "MUST-USE" by the operator.