Re: 2119bis

2011-08-31 14:06:58
Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

The only difference between "SHOULD" and "MAY" is that the implementor /
deployer needs a good excuse to not implement / employ a "SHOULD."
That's not the same as "IGNORE".

But that's a big difference. I think some people are being cavalier about the "good excuse" part, and that's where I have a problem. RFC2119 is not unclear on this point.

Correct again, it is not unclear. It says it very clear. I don't know why you wish to ignore Tony's I-D reinforcing this concept and optional implementation:

   SHOULD, RECOMMENDED:  The words "ought", "encouraged" and "suggest
         strongly" can be used to connote something that is strongly
         urged.

There is no possibility to interpret SHOULD as nothing else as an optional implementation and thus can be ignored. Of course, the presumptions are:

     - Faith in your engineering peers,
     - Due Diligence decision to decide to ignore it, and
- understanding if it was implemented, it could be ignored by consumers.

If that is not enough, we have a huge deployment history where SHOULDs was ignored and implemented as an option for operators, and we have history where a SHOULD was changed to a MUST and it caused problems. If your interpretation was correct, this change would not have been necessary.

IMV, the evidence is quite clear that SHOULD has no MUST-IMPLEMENT concept and never had. If people read it that way, it probably did not cause a problem. So no big deal. But if they expected others to MUST-IMPLEMENT a SHOULD and broke down because of that expectation, then I suggest they didn't read RFC2119 correctly.