Re: 2119bis

2011-08-31 14:14:48

On Aug 31, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Hector wrote:

Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

The only difference between "SHOULD" and "MAY" is that the implementor /
deployer needs a good excuse to not implement / employ a "SHOULD."
That's not the same as "IGNORE".
But that's a big difference.  I think some people are being cavalier about
the "good excuse" part, and that's where I have a problem.  RFC2119 is not
unclear on this point.

Correct again, it is not unclear.  It says it very clear.  I don't know why
you wish to ignore Tony's I-D reinforcing this concept and optional
implementation:

  SHOULD, RECOMMENDED:  The words "ought", "encouraged" and "suggest
        strongly" can be used to connote something that is strongly
        urged.

When the text in 2119 is already clearly written, but people fail to read it, I
don't understand why adding more text in yet another document is likely to
improve understanding.   Adding additional text and documents inherently
increases the burden on readers.

Keith