Re: Last Call: <draft-jdfalk-maawg-cfblbcp-02.txt> (Complaint Feedback Loop Operational Recommendations) to Informational RFC

2011-10-06 12:02:21
On Oct 6, 2011, at 9:32 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

On 05/Oct/11 20:22, SM wrote:
The Abstract mentions that:

 "While not originally written as an Internet Draft, it has been
  contributed to the IETF standards repository in order to make it
  easier to incorporate this material into IETF work."

The "no derivative" clause makes it impossible to incorporate the
material in this draft in any IETF work.  The restriction is not
called out correctly in draft-jdfalk-maawg-cfblbcp-02.

IANAL, but my understanding is that one will be able to cite MAAWG's
RFC in other works, thereby /using/ those statements without actually
incorporating protected material literally.  Copyright should protect
the wording, not the technique.  Taking up terminology and quoting
small snippets of text should be fair use:  J.D. himself, wearing a
IETF hat, is drafting a Standard Track I-D (marf-as) that uses the
CFBL BCP that way.

Yep.  A reference to a work is not a derivative of that work.

--
J.D. Falk
the leading purveyor of industry counter-rhetoric solutions