IPv6 support in hotel contract?

2011-10-20 08:06:59
My last message caused something else to occur to me - there has been a lot of
discussion both here and at NANOG about hotels being woefully underprepared for
the internet (and address) use that their guests generate when a conference
full of geeks and their multiple devices per person descend upon them.
Sometimes the IETF is successful at convincing the hotel to let them take over
the internet service in the guest rooms, sometimes not.

Perhaps we can kill two birds with one stone by starting to require IPv6
service in the guest rooms when we enter into negotiations with hotels. If they
don't have it, we'll be happy to temporarily take over the internet service, or
assist them in getting it enabled permanently in their existing network, and if
neither of those options are acceptable, it provides negotiating leverage on
other things. This also has the net effect of starting to make it clear to
hotel management that IPv6 is going to start being mandatory for some subset of
their guests before too much longer.

I realize that having something in the contract doesn't mean that we're any
more likely to get it. But the fact that it's in the contract makes a statement
in and of itself. IAOC, any reason why this couldn't be added, especially given
how far in advance you're negotiating with venues?

Thanks,

Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.