RE: IPv6 support in hotel contract?

2011-10-20 13:22:17
From: Joel jaeggli [mailto:joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com]

At least, we should start *trying* to get IPv6 service from hotels.
We may have a very hard time getting it, but the fact that customers
are starting to *ask* for it will help make hotels aware of IPv6.

I see no pointing in asking for something that a hotel agent is going
not be able to respond to.

if you want a brown M & M's crontract you're going to actually have to
work with an agent that can grok and then meet your requirements.

[WEG]] Joel, I think this is a spurious line of logic. We already have plenty
of "brown M&Ms" requirements. We bring in our own internet access (sometimes by
running new fiber into the building). We ask for the ability to take over the
hotel's guest room wireless network or at least the uplink. If we get told no,
we try (I hope) to ask about their abilities to cope with an extremely high
amount of simultaneous internet usage, we ask lots of questions about the
technical logistics of putting on a conference of this size, including using
their power and cabling to provide wireless in common areas, interacting with
their PA system, using their equipment, etc, and the "hotel agent" either
answers them directly or finds someone who can.
We don't generally work with "Roscoe's Motor Lodge" whose internet service is a
single residential AP managed by "my brother Darrel." These are international
hotel chains, usually with contracts to national/international corporations to
professionally manage their guest internet services. If we ask, the response is
likely to be "well, no one's ever asked for that before..." but that should be
followed with "...but we'll find out..."

Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.