RE: IPv6 support in hotel contract?

2011-10-21 08:07:20
From: Andrew Allen [mailto:aallen(_at_)rim(_dot_)com]
We can put all kinds of wonderful constraints on hotels if we want to -
[snip] - then we will likely never be able to meet anywhere.

[WEG] I am not suggesting that this be a deal-breaker constraint. We have quite
a number of "nice to have" items that we will ask for, but not necessarily take
our business elsewhere if we do not get. The sense I get from IAOC is that
dates, capacity, and cost are the constraints. IPv6 support is window dressing
(or deck chairs, depending on your perspective).

IF IPv6 really requires IETF to use its business to influence hotels to
adopt it then its a technolgy that deserves to go the way of the DoDo.
IPv6 will be adopted because it is needed and brings commerical
benefits to those that deploy it.

[WEG] This is not an attempt to force *whether* IPv6 will be deployed, but
when. Hotels are sort of an extension of the consumer space - right now, they
don't know/care what IPv6 is, nor see a reason why it's necessary. It is quite
unlikely that your average person will walk to the counter and say, "your
internet service is partially broken because it doesn't support IPv6." It is
even less likely that this will happen enough times that they say, "gosh,
perhaps we need to look into this eye pee vee six thing..." IETF has some
leverage, and by definition should be on the early adopter curve, so I'm simply
suggesting that they use it to accelerate the timeline a bit.

From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:fluffy(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com]
I love the taste of dog food, but v6 in the hotel is not something that I
find critical to accomplish the
task I come to IETF to get done.

[WEG] We're working contracts for hotel venues 3+ years out at this point. How
long are you willing to assume that IPv6 will not be critical to tasks that you
need to do at IETF and that the IPv4 service in the hotel will be an acceptable
alternative?

Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.