Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-03 19:54:42
Almost all residential customers will use a standard home router; as long as
that home router does not make the new space available to customers, it will
not be used. Almost all residential users get their home NAT box either from
the ISP (who obviously won't ship such a box) or from one of a handful of
retail consumer equipment vendors, who won't suddenly switch from RFC 1918
addresses, either (because they don't want to get the support calls).

I don't think your consumer ISP will have much sympathy if you call them up and
tell them that you decided to use 128.59.x.x internally, reconfigured the
gateway and can no longer get to Columbia University.

This is an economics issue: If one big corporate customer with a too-creative
sysadmin calls up after "finding" this new address space, this can be dealt
with.  (Indeed, that large corporate customer probably has non-1918
outward-facing addresses to begin with and will keep them, so they are the
least likely target of CGNs.) If 10,000 consumer customers call up because
their Intertubes aren't working, the ISP has a problem.

Thus, I'm having a hard time believing in the theory that the new space will be
immediately appropriated for consumer ISPs. By whom, exactly, and on what scale
and with what motivation?

Henning