Re: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-03 19:27:12
    > From: Doug Barton <dougb(_at_)dougbarton(_dot_)us>

    > there is nothing to stop customers from using the new block internally
    > because the pain of dealing with customers who are using your CGN block
    > internally is going to exist anyway, why not just use the least popular
    > 1918 block(s) for this purpose and deal with the conflicts when they
    > arise?

That's definitely something to think about.

One point the other way is that in using 1918 space in their sites, customers
are doing _nothing wrong_ - in fact, they are doing just what the spec says
they should do. On the other hand, a customer using CGN space in their site
_would_ be doing something that's counter to a spec. I'm not sure how much
good that will be for an ISP dealing with an upset customer, but it might be
of some value. Can ISP people chime in on this?

        Noel