RE: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-04 21:28:05
On Dec 4, 2011 7:24 PM, "Cameron Byrne" <cb(_dot_)list6(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On Dec 4, 2011 7:10 PM, "Chris Donley"
<C(_dot_)Donley(_at_)cablelabs(_dot_)com> wrote:

More seriously, the impression I've gathered from various discussions is
that the 90/10 model is viable, but it's not the first choice because
the 10 part involves customer service work that those interested in
deploying CGN would like to avoid in order to protect their margins. I'm
not sympathetic.

[CD] Really?  10% of customers having problems is a viable model?
 Let's do the math here.  Consider a 10M subscriber ISP. Your breakage
model (10%) would generate at least 1 M support calls (some people may call
more than once).  Let's say a support call costs $50 (I don't know the
exact cost, but I think this is close), so the cost of supporting a 10%
failure case will be close to the $50M you keep quoting (multiply this by
the number of affected ISPs).  What do you think an ISP will do if faced
with this option and no Shared CGN Space? Select an IETF-specified RFC1918
block of addresses and deal with $50M of support costs plus 1M upset
subscribers?  Acquire addresses from the RIR (or from an address broker)?
 Or squat on someone else's space?

And if that doesn't fully answer your "Which part don't you agree with?"
question, I doubt that even a significant portion of ISPs are going to
use routable addresses internally for CGN as the value of those
addresses for their intended purpose is only going to increase, and they
will still need to be able to number publicly facing things after the
RIRs have exhausted their supply.

[CD] So you're really arguing for squat space?  I have a real problem
with that.  I know people are already doing it, but I think it sets a bad
precedent and increases risk of interoperability problems across the
Internet. I believe the IETF has a vested interest in discouraging address
squatting, and should act accordingly.

The ietf did act. It is called ipv6.

And, they underscored that point by not rejecting various past attempts
at expanding private ipv4 space like 240/4.

Sorry. S/not rejecting/rejecting/

Cb

Cb