RE: Consensus Call: draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request

2011-12-06 16:43:32
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
Doug Barton

Thank you for confirming publicly that the issue here is not a
technical
one, but rather that the ISPs would prefer not to bear the costs of
dealing with the problem that they helped create.
[WEG] Thank you for confirming publicly that you'd prefer to preach at/blame
ambiguous entities ("the ISPs") for perceived past sins as a way to make their
problem seem illegitimate.
Yes, ISPs would rather not make a bad situation worse. We're already bearing
costs to deploy IPv6, and eventually will be bearing the costs of deploying and
supporting CGN no matter how distasteful we find it. We'd rather not add
additional CGN breakage to the mix. This is primarily because we want our
customers to be happy, and broken customers != happy customers. Yes, broken
customers have associated support costs that we'd rather not pay, but that's
secondary. What's mystifying and frustrating me is that some folks in the IETF
refuse to believe us when we say that based on what *we* know about *our*
networks and the CPE that *our* customers use, use of 1918 or squat space will
be worse. You've made it clear that you don't think that the 90/10 problem is a
large enough problem to justify a separate allocation, and it seems unlikely
that anyone will convince you otherwise, apparently because this is somehow
someone's fault and they should take responsibility for it. I'm not
 sure what else I can say here. I'd love for you to be right and it's not a
problem, but I'm not willing to stake my job on it. Are you?

More seriously, it sounds to me like the most persuasive argument in
favor of doing the new allocation boils down to simple extortion. "Give
us a $50,000,000 'gift' or we'll do bad things to the intahrnetz."

[WEG] Really? Solutions to operator problems = extortion? Glad to see that
discourse here has degenerated to same extent it has in politics - when all
else fails, resort to hyperbole, FUD, and namecalling...
And we wonder why we can't get better operator participation and representation
here...

Wes George

This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to
copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for
the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the
contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be
unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender
immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and
any printout.