Re: Basic ietf process question ...

2012-08-02 12:13:22
Hi Dan,

> We should be talking
> nowadays about a toolset rather than one tool that fits all.

Just to clarify what I asked about .. I am not looking for a single tool or single protocol to be used to configure everything.

I am asking for small building block like xml schema (or something similar) to be part of each new IETF proposal or protocol change. IMHO only that can allow any further more fancy abstractions and tools to be build and used in practice.

Best regards,
R.

Hi,

The OPSAWG/OPSAREA open meeting this afternoon has an item on the agenda
concerning the revision of RFC1052 and discussing a new architecture for
management protocols.

My personal take is that no one protocol, or one data modeling language
can match the operational requirements to configure and manage the wide
and wider range of hosts, routers and other network devices that are
used to implement IP networks and protocols. We should be talking
nowadays about a toolset rather than one tool that fits all. However,
this is a discussion that just starts.

Regards,

Dan