Re: Meetecho session recording for IETF-84 Telepresence (CLUE) Tutorial

2012-08-08 18:07:38
On Aug 9, 2012, at 00:37, Mary Barnes
<mary(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)barnes(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

It's surely not perfect, but given the technology being used, it's certainly
good enough

I'm sorry, I'm not a native English speaker, and the audio simply needs to be
better to be legible for my ears.
With Audio Hijack and a couple of appropriately tuned AudioUnits, this
recording indeed becomes barely understandable.
But what's lost is gone, and I'd rather focus on the content instead of on
making out the words.
Actually, I'd rather listen to VHF AM 8.3 kHz cockpit communications than
this...

and I find having the video and presentations synched is far superior to just
listening to the regular audio stream.

That is certainly a great feature.  But the regular audio stream mostly is
legible, and the meetecho one apparently isn't.

You can turn off audio on Meetecho and use the regular audio stream, but the
audio will be delayed.

As a chair, I find it very useful to use the recorded session to double check
my notes or sometimes clarify notes by the notetakers.

Certainly.  And many kudos to Joel and friends.

It's also extremely important to consider that these guys are providing the
service at no cost to IETF.  I can't fathom what the cost would be if IETF
were paying for something that might meet your quality standards.

Recording at a sampling rate of 8 kHz in 2012?  That's incomprehensible (in
both senses).  And then applying some inferior compression scheme that inserts
heavy artifacts.  They can do better.  Much better.  For exactly the same cost.

If the meetecho guys use the IETF as a pilot customer, they need honest
feedback.  Honest and candid.  Like the one I'm providing here.  They don't
want to be remembered by 1000 people as the guys who can't get audio right.

The fact that the tutorial is about telepresence adds a measure of irony...
(Which gets to the point of hilarious when the SDP example actually uses
PCMU/8000 :-)

Grüße, Carsten