Re: [IAB] Last Call: Modern Global Standards Paradigm

2012-08-11 10:20:42

On 8/11/2012 8:13 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
On Aug 11, 2012, at 16:41, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:
consensus-oriented process

Sometimes, though, you have to act.

While a consensus-oriented process*) document could certainly be used
to improve (or deteriorate) the document by a couple more epsilons, I
agree with Randy Bush: Signing it now is a no-brainer.

I wasn't commenting on document editing. (It actually needs a serious editing pass, but I understand that the current situation mitigates against pursuing that.)

My point was that we have a process for assessing IETF support and it's not being used. Something quite different is being used.

I'm not arguing against the document, but merely noting that an implication of IETF community support is going to be present, but in the absence of our having followed the process that makes that (formally) correct.

Bureaucracy sucks. It's a hassle. It's always more appealing to just do whatever we feel like that feels reasonable because we have good intent.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking