Re: [IAB] Last Call: Modern Global Standards Paradigm

2012-08-12 10:50:43

On 8/12/2012 8:02 AM, Barry Leiba wrote:
It's true that this was not put into an Internet Draft.  Apart from
that, we seem to be doing the right thing: - The IAB Chair announced
the text and the intent to sign it on 1 Aug.

Two weeks is normal process for spontaneous consensus calls?

When did the community approve that change in process?

He asked for comments.

No he didn't:

     "Please send strong objections..."

This asserts a forceful bias against general comments and criticisms by
establishing a very high threshhold for relevance.  While no, no one is
prevented from other kinds of postings, the bias is nonetheless established.

- A discussion (this) ensued, which has resulted in a great deal of
support for the signing, no objections to the document, and two
objections on process grounds.

Note that he didn't ask for support, although explicit support
statements are exactly what is required for IETF consensus calls, absent
a history to justify the kind of "default yes" assumption made in the announcement. We don't have any such documented history for this effort.

Would any of us guess that the community would support the document?
Sure.  But guessing isn't the point.

That folks have chosen to ignore the stricture specified in the announcement and to post public support shows how deeply ingrained our model is. And, yeah, enough such postings overwhelm problems with the last call wording...

d/

--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking