Re: [IAB] Last Call: Modern Global Standards Paradigm

2012-08-12 05:01:44
Hi Glen,
At 23:13 11-08-2012, Glen Zorn wrote:
Sorry, I don't get your point.  The referenced RFC says

It was the Spring of 1995. The place was known as Danvers. That meeting is remembered because of the Danvers Doctrine.

Presumably, the IAB & IESG came to this concern through consensus and the document expresses the consensus (along with the rather typical sense of exaggerated self-

Yes.

importance
;-)
)
of those bodies. It pointedly does not claim to represent the opinion of the entire IETF, but neither does the document under discussion (unless the royal usage of "we" is intended) and that's how it should be.

Over the years the IAB and IETF have expressed a joint opinion on an issue through a RFC. That RFC is one of the significant ones as it dealt with the question of "export" grade security which was on the political agenda of the day. Nowadays the IETF uses BCPs to express IETF Consensus.

Regards,
-sm