Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

2012-09-07 01:50:15
Randy,
On 9/7/12 8:35 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
The IESG's initial thought on this matter was that the bar for
removing things from the archive ought to be set as high as we could
get it so as to avoid all sorts of silly requests and DoS attacks
(and, at least in my mind, so that the legal questions were near nil:
unless an appropriate court forced us to, our policy was "leave it in
there").
please stick to it.  we have enough complexity creation already.  aside
from at&t and verizon illegally giving all our packets to the nsa, the
high bar is the best and simplest.

I agree with your point about complexity and "sticking to it".  I
recommend a small change to accommodate most of what has been discussed.

OLD:
An I-D will only be removed from the public I-D archive in compliance
with a duly authorized court order.  If possible, a removed I-D will be
replaced with a tombstone file that describes the reason that the I-D
was removed from the public I-D archive.

NEW:

An I-D MAY be removed from the public I-D archive in compliance
with a competent legal demand.  If possible, a removed I-D will be
replaced with a tombstone file that describes the reason that the I-D
was removed from the public I-D archive.

This leaves sufficient flexibility for the IESG to decide when a legal
demand requires the removal and when it's bogus, but otherwise leaves
the bar high.  I would suggest that Jorge review the above text for
appropriateness.

I'll also point out that if people start to game us for illegal content,
the IESG has the ability to update the policy.

Eliot