Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

2012-09-07 02:44:26
In the case of DMCA

i am not competent to speak to circumstances surrounding a dmca.  i am
glad you and all the other engineers here are.  sure saves the ietf
lawyer a lot of work.

Bingo. And even if we were competent to assess this stuff - which we most
assuredly are not - any notion that a specific policy can be drafted that would
cover all the eventualities that could arise in the context of a DMCA notice is
preposterous on its face.

Anyone who has looked at even a few DMCA situations knows they range from
looneys with no grounds and no resources to entirely legitimate cases of gross
infringement to what amounts to a SLAPP suit.

If and when this happens the IETF will have to deal with the situation as it
presents, hopefully assisted by competent legal counsel.

The only question that need concern us at present is whether or not the
stated policy gives the IESG the necessary flexibility. It seems to me
that it does.

                                Ned