Re: In Memoriam IETF web page

2012-10-22 09:44:09
On Oct 22, 2012, at 6:26 AM, Pelletier Ray <rpelletier(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org>
wrote:

On Oct 21, 2012, at 4:59 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

i started the thread on nanog.  i am not sure abha or jon would want to
be on such a list.  remember them and honor and carry on their work,
don't memorialize them.

With all respect, it is not just about the person, it is about their work,
its importance, the history of this Internet and providing role models to
others.

And who gets to decide which "work" is worth putting in the memorial?

In the older case of Jon Postel, there are some things he did that pissed off
some IETFers but made others quite happy. In at least one case, I believe that
people representing both groups are still around and would want to "help"
create the official IETF page for Jon.

In the recent case of RL "Bob" Morgan, most of what I would want to memorialize
about his was his discussion manners and humor, which I think helped the IETF
more than his technical contributions. I suspect a bunch of his friends would
disagree with me and would want to emphasize his work in the many diverse areas.

The act of writing a history creates a story to be perpetuated. That's what
Wikipedia and its interminable editing wars are for. Having Dave Crocker or
Paul Hoffman or Randy Bush being the IETF Memorial Editor is simply not a good
idea.

--Paul Hoffman