Re: Idea for a process experiment to reward running code...

2012-12-01 15:22:54

On Dec 1, 2012, at 10:36 PM, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

What actual problem is this trying to solve?  I see the reference to a
'reward', but wasn't aware that there is a perceived problem needing
incentive to solve.

I think the problem is in the subject line. Documents go through working groups
and the IETF proposing standards that have never been implemented, and may
never be implemented.

Why do they bother?  Maybe it looked like a good idea at the time. Maybe they
want an RFC hoping to drive adoption. Maybe the want an RFC for their personal
vanity, or to augment their LinkedIn profile.

Regardless of the reason, I agree that the IETF's resources are better spent on
stuff that will make it into running code. Not sure this is the right
incentive, though. Waiting two more months, and probably making one extra
revision to the document seems to be a lower investment than actually
implementing (incentives only apply to people who would otherwise not implement
their proposal)

Yoav