Re: Idea for a process experiment to reward running code...

2012-12-02 08:42:54

Hi Brian,

Another condition for a fast track must be the absence of
unresolved IPR disclosures. I can see a big risk here - that
someone will use the fast track procedure to game the IPR
disclosure rule. First, release your open source code, using
an open source licence that doesn't assert the absence of IPR.
Then, post the 00 draft and persuade an AD to fast track it.
(The draft assumes there is a WG involved, but the IETF process
does not require a WG.) Then, "discover" the IPR and disclose it.
All within 3 weeks.

Ah good point. This is only intended for WG documents, but the
late-IPR point is a good one nonetheless. I've added a sentence
saying any late-IPR declaration sends the draft back to the WG.
That's a potential DoS of course, but not a new one really.

Ta,
S.

   Brian