Re: Idea for a process experiment to reward running code...

On 03/12/2012 06:01, Martin J. Dürst wrote:
One of the advantages of a standards organization such as the IETF is
cross-concern review. For the IETF, one very strong cross-concern is
security. Another one (also for my personally) is internationalization.
Another, more vague one, is general architecture. Early running code is
very often (not always) characterized by the fact that such
cross-concerns are actively or passively ignored.

(Odd, I've not seen Martin's mail yet.)

An excellent point. The fact that a hack works, and can be implemented,
does not alter the fact that it's a hack. This is the sort of thing that
cross-area review is supposed to look for. As a gen-art reviewer, I am
sometimes surprised by what gets through to Last Call in the regular
process - if the whole review process is squeezed down to a couple
of weeks, we will definitely miss cross-area issues.

Fair enough. Those reviews (at least secdir ones) are supposed to
be done during IETF LC, but that doesn't always happen and I'm not
sure if the same timing applies to 'em all. I've added this:

        The timers associated with fast-track processing do increase the
        burden on cross-area review teams.  At present such reviews are
        supposed to be done during IETF LC, but some useful reviews are
        not received until after the end of IETF LC.  As is currently
        the case, the responsible AD and IESG will have to deal with
        such reviews as they are received.  A part of the experiment
        here will be to see if fast-track processing significantly
        impacts on these reviews.

Encouraging running code is a Good Thing. Publishing sloppy specifications
is a Bad Thing.

Sure. I guess I'd hope that we push back on sloppy specs as
usual, but that the running code might make that less likely,
or at least more likely to be just editorial.

Cheers,
S.

The Interop show network used to be a Very Good Thing. We've lost that,
though I was delighted to see some actual running code at Bits-n-Bytes
in Atlanta. More please. Maybe a prize for Best Demo?

   Brian

I had a look at your draft and checked for "security" and
"internationalization", but only found the former, and not not in a
discussion about how this proposal would make sure that cross-concerns
are adequately addressed.

Regards,   Martin.