Re: [PWE3] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk-06

2013-01-08 04:06:40
I notice too that MEP and MIP are incorrectly expanded:-(

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Huub van Helvoort" <huubatwork(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
To: "Greg Mirsky" <gregimirsky(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
Cc: <pwe3(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; <gen-art(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; "Bitar, Nabil N"
<nabil(_dot_)n(_dot_)bitar(_at_)verizon(_dot_)com>;
<dinmohan(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>; <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2013 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: [PWE3] Gen-ART review of
draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk-06

Hello Nabil,

Greg is almost right.

RDI == Remote Defect Indication

This is the abbreviation used in IEEE 802.1ag, Y.1731, G.707, G.8121
and rfc6428.

Regards, Huub.
====

can we avoid different interpretation of the same abbreviation
(RDI):

RDI   Remote Defect Indication for Continuity Check Message

RDI   Reverse Defect Indication

AFAIK, the latter form is the interpretation used by both IEEE
802.1ag
and Y.1731. How useful is the first form?

Regards,

Greg

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Bitar, Nabil N
<nabil(_dot_)n(_dot_)bitar(_at_)verizon(_dot_)com
<mailto:nabil(_dot_)n(_dot_)bitar(_at_)verizon(_dot_)com>>
wrote:

    Hi Dave,
    Related to abbreviations comment below and to be clearer, I
renamed
    the original terminology section to "Abbreviations and
Terminology".
    I also created a subsection called "Abbreviations" ,and
    "Terminology" became the second subsection.  Here iis how the
edits look

      3. Abbreviations and Terminology____

        3.1. Abbreviations____

    AISAlarm Indication Signal____

    ACAttachment Circuit____

    BFDBidirectional Forwarding Detection____

    CCContinuity Check____

    CCMContinuity Check Message____

    CECustomer Equipment____

    CVConnectivity Verification____

    E-LMI Ethernet Local Management Interface____

    EVCEthernet Virtual Circuit____

    LDPLabel Distribution Protocol____

    LoSLoss of Signal____

    MAMaintenance Association____

    MDMaintenance Domain____

    MEMaintenance Entity____

    MEGMaintenance Entity Group____

    MEPMaintenance End Point____

    MIPMaintenance End Point____

    MPLSMultiprotocol Label Switching____

    MS-PW Multi-Segment Pseudowire____

    NSNative Service____

    OAMOperations, Administration, and Maintenance____

    PEProvider Edge____

    PSNPacket Switched Network____

    PWPseudowire____

    RDIRemote Defect Indication for Continuity Check Message____

        RDI   Reverse Defect Indication

    S-PESwitching Provider Edge____

    TLVType Length Value____

    T-PETerminating Provider Edge____

    __ __

        3.2. Terminology____

    This document uses the following terms with corresponding
    definitions: ____

    - MD Level:Maintenance Domain (MD) Level which identifies a
value in
    the range of 0-7 associated with Ethernet OAM frame. MD Level
    identifies the span of the Ethernet OAM frame.____

    - MEP:Maintenance End Point is responsible for origination and
    termination of OAM frames for a given MEG.____

    - MIP: Maintenance Intermediate Point is located between peer
MEPs
    and can process OAM frames but does not initiate or terminate
them.____

    Further, this document also uses the terminology and conventions
    used in [RFC6310].____

    Thanks,

    Nabil