Re: [PWE3] Gen-ART review of draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-eth-oam-iwk-06

2013-01-16 04:18:04
Hello Nabil,

You replied:

I will folloup on the other emails. Just catching up in reverse order.

> RDI (Reverse defect indication) is what is used in RFC 6310 to indicate
failure in the rverse direction from the failure, and this document is
aligned with that.

RDI is used to indicate that the *remote* end has detected a defect
in the forward direction from local node towards the remote node.
In the reverse direction (from remote node to local node) there
is *no* defect. Expanding RDI as Reverse Defect Indication will
put people on the wrong foot.

At the same time, RDI as Remote defect indication is
what is used for Ethernet CFM, so the attemot here is to call out
the acronyms used and in this case it is the same acronym that correspond
to two different terminologies, each with its own context identified.

The same RFC6310 refers to G.775 and in appendix A.2 to ATM which both
expand RDI into Remote Defect Indiction. And this expansion is used
several times in RFC6310.
The additional "for Continuity Check Message" is never used in any
of these.

So I strongly suggest to expand RDI *only* as:
"Remote Defect Indication"
to avoid creating any further confusion.

Regards, Huub.