Re: A proposal for a scientific approach to this question [was Re: I'm struggling with 2219 language again]

2013-01-08 09:55:08
Hear. Hear.  Ditto!  Absolutely.  etc.

At 10:12 AM -0500 1/8/13, Donald Eastlake wrote:
Another problem is maintenance. Protocols change. Having to maintain a
formal specification is commonly at least an order of magnitude more
effort than maintaining a prose description. So it doesn't happen and
they very rapidly get out of synch in any living protocol. As an
example, the IEEE 802.11 (Wi-Fi) standard used to have a normative
formal description of the MAC operation (see Annex C of 802.11-1999).
By 802.11-2007 this was out of synch but was still included as
informational material on the theory it might be of some use and the
section began with the words "This clause is no longer maintained...".
Although still present as informational in 802.11-2012, the first
words of that section are now "This annex is obsolete."

And, as has been mentioned before, I'd like to emphasize that the IETF
experience and principal is that, if you want interoperation,
compliance testing is useless. The way to interoperation is
interoperation testing between implementations and, to a first
approximation, the more and the earlier you do interoperation testing,
the better.

Thanks,
Donald
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 d3e3e3(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM, John Day <jeanjour(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net>