Re: The RFC Acknowledgement

2013-02-11 16:49:00
Alright,

it's not important for this discussion anyway; just ignore my comment.

Ulrich

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 11, 2013, at 1:49 PM, Barry Leiba <barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org>
wrote:

SM,
(it is generally appreciated in the IETF to use real first and last name).

Hi, Ulrich.
This is actually a very cultural issue.  I'll point out that in U.S.
culture it's common for people named William to go by "Bill", or for people
to regularly use nicknames such as "Bud" or "Woody".  Do we call those
"real" names?  For south Asians, Thais, and others with very long names,
it's culturally common to use abbreviations -- someone named
"Gopalakrishnan" might be "Gopal", and use of initials is common.

SM is well known here by his initials, and switching to "Subramanian
Moonesamy" won't benefit anyone.  He knows the IETF culture as well as his
own, and "SM" is perfectly fine, and is what we know him by.

Does that help?

Barry