Re: Appointment of a Transport Area Director

2013-03-05 05:04:27
Hi Dave,

On 03/04/2013 11:19 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

On 3/4/2013 1:48 PM, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
The problem with this argument is that it appears that we have a
choice between "limited knowledge of congestion control" and "an
empty seat".  Which one is more likely to be able to learn about
it?

Carefully considering the tradeoffs and requirements seems to be the
 corre challenge here.

To extend this point further:

We've defined job requirements that produce an extremely small pool
of candidates.  In the case of TSV, the pool is zero, but in others
it is also problematic.  This is a long-standing problem, but we keep
 ignoring it.

Rather than carefully consider the essential job requirements -- in
terms of the core work that must be done by an AD -- we seem to think
 that we can continue with unchanged job requirements.

Not fully true:
There will be a discussion in the TSVAREA session at the IETF-86 meeting in Orlando, exactly discussing the job requirements for the TSV AD position:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/86/agenda/tsvarea/

  Martin

ADs do not 'lead' the work of their area.  They do not initiate the
work, produce the charters or write the specifications.  Work that
fails or succeeds does so because it has community consensus and
demand, not because an AD was diligent or clever.  The job of an AD
is to facilitate community efforts, not to direct them.

Technical expertise in a technical manager is essential as an adjunct
to the management.  We keep confusing this essential requirement with
the kind of work that an individual contributor does.

As long as we maintain that confusion, we will define a job that is
too demanding, and demands too many of the wrong skills.

d/

--
martin(_dot_)stiemerling(_at_)neclab(_dot_)eu

NEC Laboratories Europe
NEC Europe Limited
Registered Office:
Athene, Odyssey Business Park, West End  Road, London, HA4 6QE, GB
Registered in England 2832014