Re: Appointment of a Transport Area Director

2013-03-04 16:20:18

On 3/4/2013 1:48 PM, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
The problem with this argument is that it appears that we have a choice between "limited
knowledge of congestion control" and "an empty seat".  Which one is more likely to
be able to learn about it?

Carefully considering the tradeoffs and requirements seems to be the corre challenge here.

To extend this point further:

We've defined job requirements that produce an extremely small pool of candidates. In the case of TSV, the pool is zero, but in others it is also problematic. This is a long-standing problem, but we keep ignoring it.

Rather than carefully consider the essential job requirements -- in terms of the core work that must be done by an AD -- we seem to think that we can continue with unchanged job requirements.

ADs do not 'lead' the work of their area. They do not initiate the work, produce the charters or write the specifications. Work that fails or succeeds does so because it has community consensus and demand, not because an AD was diligent or clever. The job of an AD is to facilitate community efforts, not to direct them.

Technical expertise in a technical manager is essential as an adjunct to the management. We keep confusing this essential requirement with the kind of work that an individual contributor does.

As long as we maintain that confusion, we will define a job that is too demanding, and demands too many of the wrong skills.

d/

--
 Dave Crocker
 Brandenburg InternetWorking